“Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.”
– Sun Tzu
In order to dominate your competition, you have to know where you competition is going when it comes to growing their online presence.
It’s sometimes not simple to just Google them.
That’s where Google Alert comes in. Here is a quick guide on how to really CIA like details of what your competition is doing:
1. Visit http://www.google.com/alerts
2. In the search terms type in the competition’s website, example, if your competition is called seobook.com, type in “seobook”.
3. For type selected the “Comprehensive” Type. This makes sure that you get ANYTHING Google finds about that relates to that particular keyword.
4. I set how often to “As-It-Happens”, this way I’m able to react fast in case there is something that is news worth of knowing. Google does a great job of this, there are times that I post an Article on my blog, and within 5 minutes I’ve gotten a Google Alert of that Google Found the blog, so the speed is great, and convenience is perfect.
5. Set the email you want to Alerts going to. You can have it going to a separate email that you setup for alerts if you want. I set it up on my primary email account and it filters into a “Google Alert” folder.
6. You have to confirm the Google Alerts by going to the email you setup the Google alerts and clicking confirm. (I wonder if I really needed to write all that)
7. Repeat this process. In the above example, I will input an for “seobook”, “seobook.com”, the author’s name “Aaron Wall”, and other people and principals affiliated with the competition’s website, as well as all their brand names and products they offer. If I have a list of their clients, I add them as well. So whenever anything goes down, I get an immediate alert. If you have a Google account, you can login and it will also give you an option to get a feed of the alert instead of an email.
If you want to really take it to the next level, visit read more here -> “14 Tools to Legally Spy On Your Competition“.