If you want to successfully target ANY keywords or keyphrases, then you all you have to do is implement it into your titles, your content, and your anchor text backlinking to your website, and simply have more quality backlinks to your site than your competition AND continuously gain backlinks at an increasing rate higher than your competition.
Example. If your competition has 1000 quality backlinks, and gains 100 new quality backlinks a month, then you have to have more than 1200 quality backlinks and gain 120 new quality backlinks a month.
The first step is to find catch up to their back link level. Here is the guide. (This is not for the faint of heart, only serious people that want serious results)
1. Find out what keywords you are targeting, Get at least 10 of them.
2. Make sure they are 3 word keyphrases or shorter ex. “Red Tennis Shoes”
3. Google each keyphrase using regular or exact matches depending on what you want to rank for.
4 Get a list of ONLY the top 10 websites ranking organically for that keyphrase. Why only the 10, because they are the top 10, you don’t need to focus on the slums that are below that, you’re trying to dominate your industry.
5. Once you have a list of the top 10 website for top 10 keywords you want to rank for, (about 100 sites, unless some overlap, which will happen). Go to Yahoo!
6. Type in “link:www.competition.com”, to get the Site Explorer for that particular website.
7. Find the option to “Show Inlinks”, and select “Except from this domain”, to “Entire Site”. This will get rid of all internal links for the website, and get you a nice usually PageRank organized list of the top 1000 backlinks to the particular domain.
8. Export this Information using the “Export first 1000 results to TSV” (TSV is a tab separated CSV file, so you can open it in Excel).
9. Now do this for ALL the 100 domains you have listed. I never said this was going to be easy, or for the faint of heart, but you want to be #1 right.
10. Mash all the results into a huge list of domains that are backlinking to your competition. Since you have 100 domains, and 1000 results, you will have 100,000 potential pages.
11. Eliminate duplicates, by sorting it in Excel, and manually or writing a script to delete duplicated.
12. Next step, get to work getting backlinks from those list of competition’s backlinks. Sometimes you will find that the competition is being linked to because it’s one of their clients, move on. Don’t spend more that 2 minutes trying to figure out how to get a backlink from 1 particular site, you have nearly 100,000 pages to go through. Get the backlink, and use your keyword whenever possible as anchor text.
Obviously, this could be considered beyond overkill, but you if successfully commit to doing this about 2 to 4 hours a day, you will start seeing great results in the search engines. Not only are you catching up to your competition, but also out running them, since you are going after 100 domain’s backlinks.
Blog Commenting is also another place you can drop links to your website. The trick here it to make sure you give an insight full blog comment and mention parts of the article that your liked, and bam, drop that link in. It helps if you do this on “do follow” blogs, which there is a special search engine to do this, located here -> http://www.digeratimarketing.co.uk/tools/do-follow-search-engine/
Remember, it’s an algorithm that the search engines use (most of the time), and I’ve figured out this method through trial and error, and of course actually reading when Google hands outs a PDF about search engine optimization also helps. Having designed website since 1995 and before Google existed, and have experience climbing the rankings on the major search engines, this continues to always works.
There are other equations that factor into SEO and getting rankings like age of your domain, etc, but to keep it simply, today I pretended everything else is equal. The way you will see results is, first yahoo or msn will start sending you more traffic for the targeted keywords, and then Google will start flooding you with traffic.
Done correctly, and depending on your industry, you can see results in as quickly as 2 weeks to 2 months. You should start seeing significant traffic within 3 months to 6, and Great results after that period. This of course is also assuming you are constantly updating your website, and doing other marketing methods for your website. Remember this method is a small method of an overall of dominating your industry in the search engine rankings and your online presences. If you want, you can contact me for more details on how I can help you achieve better results online.